The Lone Fortress
*** Defending Truth from Conventional Wisdom ***


Monday, January 31, 2005
 
A Job Well Done
Is the Iraqi Vote a "tipping point"? I think so -- one of many to come.

Via BlackFive, from an Air-Force photographer in Sadr City:
For the next five hours the Colonel toured many neighborhoods and polling areas throughout Sadr City. And Sadr City was an unbelievable site. Hundreds of people lined the streets and congregated outdoors. Children, teenage boys, and men played dozens of soccer games in the grass between the streets. Children swarmed me and the other troops chanting "Good, Good Mistah (the nickname they call us)! Good, Good Mistah!" Men and Women held their blue fingers high with pride and thankfulness so that I could get pictures of them. One man came up to my camera, held his blue finger up and shouted, “Bush Good! Bush Good!" They played music and danced. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Soldiers with me smiled and shook their heads in disbelief telling me that this was the same street they'd traveled down 8 months ago when they had their bloodiest and costliest battle. It was the route you could not go down for many months without being ambushed with RPGs and towing back at least one tank or Bradley. These soldiers leave in a couple of weeks and I think the best thing they could have experienced-proof: their job well done.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger